Reino Unido » Londres » Qué visitar cerca de Londres

Qué visitar cerca de Londres

| Más

Otros lugares que recomendamos visitar cerca de Londres son:

The grounds at Windsor Castle

El Castillo de Windsor ha sido una de las residencias de la realeza británica desde hace 900 años, y es el castillo habitado más antiguo del mundo. En un terreno de 26 hectáreas se ubican el castillo, la capilla gó

The College itself is named after John Keble, one of Pusey's colleagues in the Oxford Movement, who died four years before its foundation in 1870. It was decided immediately after Keble's funeral that his memorial would be a new Oxford college bearing his name. Two years later, in 1868, the foundation stone was laid by the Archbishop of Canterbury on St Mark's Day. The college first opened in 1870, taking in thirty students, whilst the Chapel was opened on St Mark's Day 1876. Accordingly, the College continues to celebrate St Mark's Day each year. (Wikipedia)

One French visitor is quoted saying: 'It is magnificent but it is not the railway station'.

Las dos ciudades universitarias más famosas de Inglaterra. Oxford es la ciudad universitaria por excelencia donde se encuentra establecida la famosa Universidad de Oxford. Conocida como"la ciudad de las agujas de ensueño" por la armon

Greenwich market at Christmas

Greenwich es una ciudad cerca de Londres. Este mercado, existente desde 1700, fue trasladado alrededor del año 1800 a su ubicación actual. Para ese fin se construyó un edificio de 3 pisos, pronto ocupado por puestos de pescado,

Which although stunning looking often gets too hot to touch on a fine day!

Ambos se encuentran en Village Park, cerca de Londres. El Observatorio es mundialmente conocido porque por él pasa el Meridiano 0, a partir del cual se miden las distancias en la Tierra. Y desde el siglo XIX, también los horarios se

Hampton Court Palace Gardens

Este palacio fue fundado por el Cardenal Wolsey y posteriormente ampliado por Enrique VIII, su residente más famoso. Es célebre por las colecciones de arte y por sus jardines y, sobre todo, por el laberinto. En lo que fuera el jard

The poet Thomas Tickell owned a house and small estate in Glasnevin and, in 1790, they were sold to the Irish Parliament and given to the Royal Dublin Society for them to establish Ireland's first botanic gardens. 

A double line of yew trees, known as 'Addison's Walk' survives from this period. 

The original purpose of the gardens had been to advance knowledge of plants for agriculture, medicine and dyeing. The gardens were the first location in Ireland where the infection responsible for the 1845–1847 potato famine was identified. Throughout the famine, research to stop the infection was undertaken at the gardens.

Walter Wade and John Underwood, the first Director and Superintendent respectively, executed the layout of the gardens, but, when Wade died in 1825, they declined for some years. From 1834, Director Ninian Nivan brought new life into the gardens, performing some redesign. This programme of change and development continued with the following Directors into the late 1960s.

The gardens were placed into government care in 1879.

As well as being a tourist destination and an amenity for nearby residents, it also serves as a centre for horticultural research and training, including the breeding of many prized orchids.

The soil at Glasnevin is strongly alkaline (in horticultural terms) and this restricts the cultivation of calcifuge plants such as rhododendrons to specially prepared areas. Nonetheless, the gardens display a range of outdoor 'habitats' such as a rockery, herbaceous border, rose garden, bog garden and arboretum. A vegetable garden has also been established.


The National Herbarium is also housed at the National Botanic Gardens. It contains a collection of nearly 750,000 pressed plants, collected over the garden's two-hundred-year history. The gardens contain noted and historically important collections of orchids. The newly restored Palm House houses many tropical and subtropical plants. The Cactus House is currently (2008) being emptied for refurbishment.

The gardens include some glasshouses of architectural importance, such as the Palm House and the Curvilinear Range.

The Curvilinear Range was completed in 1848 by Richard Turner, an Irish iron-founder and pioneer in the constructional use of wrought iron; it was extended in the late 1860s. This structure, and the nearby Palm House (built 1884), have been restored (using some surplus contemporary structural ironwork from Kew Gardens) and this work attracted the Europa Nostra award for excellence in conservation architecture.

Este jardín e invernadero de 121 hectáreas, ubicado muy cerca de Londres, ha sido declarado Patrimonio de la Humanidad por la Unesco. Posee toda variedad de plantas de todas partes del mundo y se trabaja en cientos de proyectos cient

Warwick Castle

En este pueblo medieval cerca de Londres se encuentra uno de los castillos más famosos del país. También es muy interesante la arquitectura histórica de la ciudad, al estilo Tudor, principalmente. En el castillo se

Es la única ciudad del Reino Unido declarada Patrimonio de la Humanidad. Esta ciudad, ubicada cerca de Londres, es famosa por sus aguas termales, que ya fueron usadas por los romanos en sus baños. Se puede visitar el Roman Baths Museum